Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yarn Along

Time for knitting and reading has been scarce as usual, but that hasn't stopped me from starting on two new projects and a new book. I ended up getting that hot water bottle that I was dreaming about in my last Yarn Along post. I love the heat, dislike the plastic-y feeling, so I started knitting a cover for the bottle using this pattern.  Credit for this project goes to Jennifer Letts over at S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen, who suggested I make a cover for my bottle. Thanks! I'm in no hurry with this though, so this knit will be the last thing on my priority list.

What I am in a hurry with though is my boys sweater, it's coming along oh so slowly. The sweater now has a secret knit to compete with, a project I've been planning for a while but haven't gotten around to.  This new knit is being kept on the down low since its a present for someone that I think checks this space out every now and then. I'm using the same yarn, Drops Delight, that I'm using in my sons sweater, but different colors. I mostly prefer yarn that is 100% wool, alpaca or what have you, but I can't resist the colors (and the price)!



My new read, "The Sea House" by Esther Freud, caught my eye when I was with the kids at the library. We were just about ready to leave when I saw it on the shelf in the international section. I've never heard of the author before, but her sharing my daughters name and the title made me grab it before we left. Really, picking a book because of the authors name and the cover, how very juvenile of me! In all fairness I did open the book and read the inside cover, which drew me in:

"It is the story of one generation living in the footprints of another; of a landscape shaped by lives, and lives shaped by landscape."

Landscape shaped by lives and lives shaped by landscape, how could I resist that? I'm hoping that this book will capture and convey the soul of the sea. Growing up I was never far from the sea, and I often miss the sound of the waves and the smell of the ocean. Maybe this book will take me back to that in my mind. That's the beauty of books, isn't it?

::Joining Yarn Along at Small Things::

3 comments:

  1. i hope you do get to the sweater, the wool is really lovely. and the book sounds good too, i often choose books for reasons like yours.

    sent from the beach, in california
    xo lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I would give a lot to be on a beach in california right now! Keeping at it with the sweater, need to finish it before spring arrives or my boy gets too big for it! Also glad to hear I'm not the only one that chooses a book by its' cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have totally chosen many books by their covers and they have seldom been a disappointment actually! Hope to see that sweater soon finished. :)

    ReplyDelete